Tuesday, May 3, 2011

These Kids Can Sell Some Lemonade!!

Last Sunday was officially "Lemonade Day" across the nation, so Sam, Maya & Aurielle set up shop. They decided to set up their stand near Aurielle's house at an entrance to the Barton Creek Greenbelt. OH MY GOODNESS!!! Not only did they hit all of the hot bicyclists and hikers needing a cool drink of lemonade, but they actually had a perfect drive-thru location!! It was THE cutest thing ever! They didn't list prices but only asked for donations for Max. After 3 hours, they passed out about 3 gallons of lemonade and raked in a little over $135!!! Can you believe that?? All three kids donated all of their proceeds to the Max fund which was very sweet, especially after the slight hesitation they felt while dividing up and holding all of that loot. So, after Lemonade Day and all of your generous donations, we have raised a total of $968.34!!!! I am all giddy that we set a goal to collect all of the money to pay Max's vet bills, and we have almost accomplished that goal in just 2 weeks! I AM SO VERY GRATEFUL!!
(After the 90 degree Sunday, we had a cold front come in with lows in the 30's and highs in the 50's!)

An update on Max...he is doing WONDERFUL!! I think the "healing gems" that Aurielle and Maya put around his crate (which I previously thought was just decor) have worked! He is moving around so well and is using his injured leg much more. He still has a slight limp, but his mobility in that leg is probably 80%? He is getting so strong and holding his leg so well that it is very difficult for me to clean out his wound and get a good look at it. He is a very smart cat and has figured out what the syringe means, and cleverly situates himself so that I can't reach his wound easily. I can almost hear him snicker as he looks at me like, "No way am I going to make this easy for you!" I shoot his wound the best I can with water and hope for the best! Also, a lot of his puncture wound scabs are coming off, so we get to pet more of his body which is s...l...o...w...l...y growing fur back. He is not in any way hurting for attention, because the kids spend multiple hours in his crate with him. I even heard Sam say to him today, "See, Max, I'm locked in here with you, even though I have opposable thumbs to get myself out." But he sure does try to escape each time the door is open! Too bad he still has 3.5 weeks left in confinement :( We have another follow-up visit with Dr. Meyer tomorrow, so I'll update the blog soon!

Many thanks again for all of the well wishes and donations! You have all made this experience so much easier and filled with so much love.

Also, thank you, Stephen, for loving and supporting us through this endeavor! Isn't he just so cute? ;)

3 comments:

  1. Are you going to let Max back outside when he gets well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we'll let him out for a while, especially not while our neighbors are still there. It'll be hard because he loves being outside and we spend so much time outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job you guys! I'm glad Max is improving too.

    ReplyDelete